Markus Altenburger is one of a new generation of Austrian producers making terroir driven wines from indigenous varieties with minimal intervention.
His 10 hectares of vines are planted on the slopes of the Leithaberg in Burgenland, approximately a 45 minute drive south of Vienna. The regional limestone ‘Leithakalk’ soil produces wines of high acidity and signature Leithaberg minerality.
In 2016 Markus took over the family winery in Jois and has continually focused on varieties that best express this unique terroir.
His winemaking methods are very natural with no artificial yeasts or enzymes used, the low yields and natural treatment of the vines and soil guarantee structured, long living wines.
Over half of Markus’ vineyards are planted to Burgenland’s best known variety – Blaufränkisch, often referred to as ‘the Pinot Noir of the East’
In Austria, Blaufrankisch is the second most popular red-wine variety behind Zweigelt [a crossing of Blaufrankisch with Austria’s other signature red variety, Saint-Laurent]
Blaufrankisch is grown in almost every Austrian wine region to some extent, but its stronghold is unquestionably Burgenland.
The Altenburger Blaufrankisch has great colour and aromatics and the palate is loaded with sweet blueberry / dark berry flavours.
The Altenburger ‘White’ [Gruner Veltliner, Traminer, Neuburger and Welschriesling] is a stunning, perfectly proportioned blend of four regional varieties with each contributing to the overall character and complexity of this wine.
Gruner Veltliner [50%] is the basis of this wine giving both structure and acidity, Traminer adds its unique flavour, Neuburger contributes a nutty aspect and Welschriesling adds acidity – the combination is stunning.
Wines by ALTENBURGER
- 2018 Markus Altenburger White (Weiss) (Grüner Veltliner, Muskat Ottonell, Sauvignon Blanc, Traminer, Neuburger)
- 2017 Chardonnay vom Kalk
- 2015 Jungenberg Chardonnay
- 2017 Jungenberg Blaufränkisch
- 2018 Blaufränkisch vom Kalk
- 2015 Joiser Reben Red (Zweigelt, Merlot, Blaufränkisch)
- 2017 Markus Altenburger Red (Rot) (Blaufränkisch)
- 2015 Leithaberg DAC Blaufränkisch
- 2012 Jois Cuvée Altenburger (Blaufränkisch, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot)
- 2013 Gritschenberg Blaufränkisch